Everything tastes better in a mason jar, right? Well… at least we can say everything LOOKS better in a jar, anyways! Here’s a fun way to play up your cupcakes for Halloween. The best part is, you can use a simple cake mix from your pantry!
Halloween Cupcakes in a Jar
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (+ required amount of oil and eggs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (set at room temp for 10 minutes, so butter is still slightly cool)
- 8 oz. cream cheese (direct from refrigerator)
- 4 cups powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Orange food coloring
- Mason jars
1. Bake cupcakes according to box directions, and let cool.
2. To make cream cheese frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add cream cheese and blend until combined, about 30 seconds.
3. Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
4. Slowly add the milk and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
5. Use frosting at once or keep refrigerated until ready to use.
6. Cut cupcakes into haves (horizontally)
7. Place a cupcake half in the bottom of jar
8. Use a piping bag and open star decorating tip to create a frosting layer.
9. Repeat layering cupcake halves and frosting until each jar is almost full. Top with a frosting layer and add sprinkles.